Mount Batur is one of the three volcanoes in Bali, and it is the most accessible to hike. Trekking Mount Batur in Bali is an incredible sunrise experience during your trip to Indonesia. But you can also visit Mount Batur without hiking. Discover how to climb Mount Batur, discover its hot springs, and choose the tour you like the most!
How to visit Mount Batur in Bali?
Mount Batur sunrise trekking is one of the must-do things to do in Bali (not to be missed: TOP 25 things to do in Bali). There are many ways to experience Mount Batur.
- Sunrise hiking is the most popular activity. It is done in a group with a local guide.
- Another way to discover Mount Batur and the region is to take a private driver-guide without doing the hike.
Discover more details about each of these possibilities below.
10 Things to Know Before Hiking Mount Batur at Sunrise
If you want to do the sunrise hike, here are the 10 things to know.
- Mount Batur is a sacred mountain for the Balinese. It is an active volcano that rises to 1,717 meters above sea level.
- Mount Batur trekking is moderately difficult, but parts of the hike can be difficult. Visiting Mount Batur without hiking is also possible with a private guide. More information is below.
- Plan for 1.5h to 2h to climb Mount Batur.
- Sunrise occurs at approximately 6 am, so the ascent starts about 2 hours earlier.
- The closer your accommodation is to Mount Batur, the more you will sleep before hiking. For example, it takes at least 1h30 to travel between Ubud and Mount Batur and more than 2h from Kuta.
- Prefer shoes that grip well, avoid smooth soles.
- Plan a sweater or a jacket: it can be pretty cold before sunrise.
- Climbing Mount Batur in Bali at sunrise is done with a local guide.
- Local agencies offer packages including the guide, round-trip transport from your accommodation, and breakfasts (once at the top!). See an offer here.
- Flashlights are provided by the guide, which is handy.
Bali Mount Batur Trekking and Hot Springs Tour
Some local agencies offer other tours in addition to climbing Mount Batur. For example, you can visit the hot springs of Lake Batur.
It is a lovely visit to relax and refresh after the hike! Check out more info here.
If you visit the hot springs, plan to take your bathing suit.
Visit Mount Batur with a private guide without hiking
If you cannot do the trek, you can opt for an easier solution: discover the Mount Batur region by 4×4 with a private guide!
You will explore Mount Batur in Bali in all its aspects and discover places difficult to reach on foot. At the end of the tour, you can bathe in the healing waters of Mount Batur’s natural springs. An incredible experience to live! Here is an example by a local agency.
For many travelers, hiking Mount Batur remains one of their favorite Bali experiences. If you don’t feel ready to climb Mount Batur, you can explore the volcano and the less accessible parts of the region by car. It is an excellent alternative to hiking.